In our November issue of The Pedal Post (eNewsletter), Bike Fort Collins posed the question: “Have you experienced conflict or felt unsafe while traveling through the intersection of S. Shields Street and W. Stuart Street?”
Thank you to those who responded. Below is a recap of the results.
In addition, for those who reported conflict, we asked them to describe their experience. Here is a sampling of the responses we received:
- “Unsafe drivers, taking turns without acknowledging cyclists in bike lanes.”
- “It’s definitely unsafe but I always use the tunnel under shields on the Spring Creek Trail.”
- “It’s just busy and unprotected Prospect South. I prefer to take the bike path to this area.”
HOW CAN IT BE IMPROVED?
Finally, we asked respondents how they thought the intersection/facility could be improved. Here is a sampling of the responses we received:
- “Banning right on red from Stuart onto Shields would be a start, but in all I believe Shields needs more protected bike infrastructure at least similar to how it is two blocks south on the northbound side. I imagine this intersection will get worse when the east side of Stuart is developed.”
- “Encourage people to use tunnel and add feeder trails to Spring Creek Trail.”
- “Protected bike lane and better access to the bike path.”
Again, thank you to all who responded—and for sharing their experiences. Stay tuned for additional surveys inquiring about other intersections and bicycle facilities.